MADSEN Cycles FAQ
What are the dimensions of the bike?
Tip to tip with wheel forward : 91Lx27Wx44H
Turned Handlebars (to fit in an elevator) : 79Lx27Wx44H
Turned Handlebars with front rack : 84Lx27Wx44H
What are the dimensions of the bucket?
What are the dimensions of the front rack?
The inside of the front rack measures 15.25Lx12Wx11H
What is the height of the soft top?
From the seat, the head-room at its lowest point is about 24 inches. It arches up like a tent, so at its highest point in the middle the head room is 29 inches. My 13-year old son has to lean forward just a bit or his head will touch at the low point.
What is the weight capacity of the bike?
271 kilograms, or 600 pounds – this is rider plus cargo. Amazing!
What size tires does the MADSEN use?
The tire sizes are standard, and can be found online or at your local bike shop.
Front tire = 26" x 1.95"
Rear tire = 20" x 1.95"
How long does it take to receive my bike after I place my order?
In the continental U.S., we ask that you allow 2-7 business days for the bike to arrive at your home. This time is largely dependent on the shipping transit distance to your location. You will receive a phone call once your order is placed to confirm all the details of your order, an email confirmation with tracking when your bike ships, and a phone call from the shipping company to set up an appointment for the delivery.
Does the bike feel wobbly and unstable to ride?
This is a difficult question, as it depends so much on the ability of the rider, but for someone who is comfortable riding a regular upright bicycle, the MADSEN rides in much the same way. Tight corners and turns as well as dismount may take some adjustment for some people. For someone who is hesitant, we recommend riding the bike alone (without any kids or cargo) a few times before adding weight. That said, most people have no problems at all riding the MADSEN!
How do I set up my bike once the MONSTER BOX arrives?
Check out these YouTube Links:
Jared Madsen unboxes a bucket bike: https://youtu.be/Mhhg8zu5A8w
And for 2019 installation updates: https://youtu.be/_bjcypY46zs
Your MADSEN will arrive fully assembled. All you have to do is attach the front wheel and fender. You will also want to adjust the seat and handlebars to your liking.
- Tools needed are: 4mm, 5mm and 6mm hex wrenches. These are included with your bike. Find them attached to the front wheel.
- First install the fender. Using the 4mm and 5mm hex wrenches, remove the 3 hex bolts on the front wheel fork: two 4mm bolts on opposite sides of the fork and one 5mm bolt behind the wheel lock.
- Put the fender through the fork and install the bolts. See here.
- Make sure that the brake rotor/disk on the wheel is on the left side (same side as the brake caliper on the fork). Lift up the front of the bike and line up the fork dropouts above the wheel hub, at the same time making sure that the brake rotor/disk fits into the brake caliper. Carefully lower the forks onto the hub. Insert the thru-axle bolt through the right fork dropout, through the hub and into the left fork dropout.
- Tighten the thru-axle bolt with the 6mm hex wrench.
Is the bike difficult to ride uphill without the e-assist?
It is a tricky question, and depends a bit on the rider's fitness of course. But, keep in mind that we sold our bikes for 10 years without the possibility of e-assist, and our customers were really happy with the 9 gears the bike comes with. The 9 gears help significantly on the inclines. I rode my MADSEN for years without e-assist and sometimes with a lot of weight in the back. It rides much like an upright bicycle, and when the hills come you just shift and take them a little slower. And, you can always add the assist at a later time - we sell it as a kit that fits all bucket bike models.
Can I put an electric assist on the MADSEN?
YES! The custom MADSEN 750 watt mid drive electric assist kit is finally here!! Our custom e-kit is COMPATIBLE FOR MADSEN ALL BIKE MODELS, to add to your existing MADSEN bike.
With the e-assist, you will be able to add power when you want it. Your Electric Bucket Bike will allow you to easily cruise up hills with 4 kids, a pet and all of your gear in tow.
What are the dimensions of the battery on the Custom MADSEN E-Kit?
14.5 x 3.5 x 3.5
Specifications of the MADSEN E-assist:
- 750 Watt Bafang Mid Drive Motor
- 80 Nm of Torque
- Pedal Assist System with 9 Power Levels
- Gear Sensor for Smooth Shifting
- 528 Watt Battery with Charger
- Custom MADSEN Mounting Bracket with Integrated Junction and Lockable Battery Mount
- LCD Display
- Custom Sleek Look
Custom MADSEN Electric Assist Kit Installation Video (2019), if you order a kit after you already own a bike:
How long does the charge last on the e-assist battery?
Hours of usage from the e-assist depends a lot on how you use it. It's like gas mileage - if you ride fast, with heavy cargo, and up a lot of hills, it won't last as long as if the terrain is flat or downhill and your cargo is light. It also depends on how much you pedal and how much wind-resistance is present. So it can get anywhere from one hour to five hours, depending on all of these factors. It's amazing!
Why do you sell the BBS02 750 and not the BBSHD 1000 in your MADSEN Electric Assist Kit?
Great question! Jared tested both engines extensively and ultimately decided on the BBS02 as the best fit for the MADSEN.
If you decide to purchase a Bafang kit from another vendor, we recommend that you order the BBS02 vs the BBSHD. Here are a few reasons why:
- To take full advantage of the Max torque of the BBSHD you would need to pedal (cadence) 140 RPM. A comfortable pedaling cadence is 60-80 RPM. At a normal/comfortable pedaling cadence the two motors are almost producing the same torque. Comparing the two motors side by side during actual riding conditions is quite a different thing than comparing the two motors on paper. The BBS02 and BBSHD have the same max-speed, although the BBSHD will accelerate faster. That faster acceleration will also eat up your battery more quickly. It can be compared to a car with a big souped-up V8 engine jammed in under its hood. The BBSHD is like that big V8. It will work, it will burn some rubber, use a lot of gas and you are sure to dominate your neighborhood drag race. But that same car works fine with a stock engine in it, getting you anywhere you would want to go while using less gas and putting less wear and tear on the drive train, brakes, tires, etc. The BBS02 is like the stock engine.
- The BBSHD is physically quite a bit bigger. The Q-factor is significantly wider than the BBS02. Q-factor is how far apart your pedals are from each other, or how far apart your feet will be as you pedal. A small increase in Q-factor makes a big difference. Pedaling the BBSHD forces your legs into a bow-legged position. Imagine trying to pedal a horse.
- The MADSEN bucket bike is designed to be ridden at practical speeds by a real average person who can produce somewhere between 100-250 watts. The BBS02 gives you 750 watts on top of that and the BBSHD 1000 watts.
- The BBSHD 1000W is not street legal in many states: https://peopleforbikes.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/12/Ebike-US-Reg-AppendixA-updated-11_2017.pdf
Please Note: A kit purchased from vendors other than MADSEN Cycles may not come with brake sensors or the custom MADSEN battery mount. Using a kit other than a MADSEN e-kit will void the warranty on anything that has to do with the kit, battery or drive train (ie: bolting a heavy battery to the water bottle attachment, etc.). Feel free to reach out with any questions!
If I am extra tall or extra short, will the MADSEN work for me?
The MADSEN is designed to fit a very large spectrum of potential riders/sizes. The step-through frame and upright Dutch riding style of the MADSEN allow for riders of many heights to ride the bike comfortably. The seat is easily adjustable to fit the rider's leg length.
Several 5-foot women have purchased the bike and ride comfortably. We also have a customer who is 6'10" with a 39" inseam, who rides the MADSEN comfortably.
The height of the seat in its lowest position from seat to pedal is 28"/710mm. (There are a few other little tricks we can use in the rare case that the rider's legs are not tall enough - so let us know when you purchase!). The measurement of seat in its highest position to the pedal in its lowest position is 41".
How do you transport a MADSEN with your car?
We recommend a 4-bike trailer-hitch bike rack, which will hold one MADSEN bike and one regular bike. You may also use a tandem bike roof rack, but we recommend you remove the bucket and put it inside the car to decrease weight on the roof. The bike also fits inside most SUV's and minivans, with the rear seats down.
Why won't my key for the front rim lock come out when I am riding?
Great question! This is the design of the lock. You remove the key while the bike is parked, which locks the wheel in place. When you are ready to use the bike, just put the key in and unlock the wheel. THE KEY WILL STAY IN while you are riding and until you are ready to lock the wheel again.
Do you have extra keys for my bike?
No. The 2 keys that are sent with the bike are your only keys for the front rim lock / cable lock. Be sure to keep one in a safe place in case one is misplaced. You can order blank keys from our website and have duplicates made at your local key shop, if you are worried you might lose both keys. IF BOTH KEYS ARE LOST, YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE LOCK. Replacement wheel locks are available on the website in the event that both keys are lost.
Does the width of the bucket make it difficult to ride through narrow places?
The bucket width is about the same width of the handlebars, so anywhere you feel comfortable fitting with the handlebars, the bucket will just follow.
How many kids fit in the bucket?
7 is my record, if you can beat that, send us a photo! There are 2 bench seats and 4 lap belts, so potentially 4 children fit inside the bucket. Since the weight limit is 600 lbs, kids of all ages and sizes can fit easily into the bucket (even adults can ride in there), but of course the heavier the cargo, the harder work it is for the rider.
Is this a good option for my disabled older child who cannot ride a bike on his/her own?
YES! This is a great bike for older kids who are unable to ride a bike on their own. It has provided a means for many special needs kids to enjoy bike rides with the rest of the family. You know best if your child can handle and enjoy a fun bike ride, but I would say absolutely he/she will.
Do you ship internationally?
Yes. We are happy to ship anywhere. However, the size and weight of the box to ship a MADSEN bike can be very costly to ship overseas. We are happy to secure a shipping rate quote for you. Email your address to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will let you know what the cost would be to ship a bike to your country. If you would like to arrange your own shipping, international box dimensions are 80x36x27 with a weight of 100 lbs.
Do you make a tricycle version of the MADSEN?
Do you have a local pick-up?
Yes. Select local pickup at checkout to save the cost of shipping. Our warehouse is located in Salt Lake City, Utah. 4650 South 148 West, 84107.
Do you have a dealer in my area where I can test-ride a MADSEN?
We do direct sales only at this time. If you live in Utah, you are welcome to stop in at our warehouse and test-ride a MADSEN. We also have awesome MADSEN owners all over the country and can often locate one for you who is willing to let you try out his/her bike. Email email@example.com if you would like us to send out a tweet or message to help you locate a MADSEN owner in your area.
Are there gears on the MADSEN?
Yes, there are nine gears. These are very helpful on the hills.
Does the black bucket get hot?
Any color of bucket will get hot if you leave the bike in the sun for an extended period of time. The black will get slightly more hot than the others if left in the sun. We haven’t noticed much a difference with a black bucket or lighter colored bucket while riding in the sun. The air moving is sufficient to keep it cooled down.
Can I order any color of bucket I want?
Yes, you may mix and match bucket colors on the bikes, as long as we have them in stock. Just email firstname.lastname@example.org or call and let us know if you prefer a different colored bucket than the one your bike comes with.
Do you ship APO?
No, unfortunately the box to ship the MADSEN bike measures outside the size and weight requirements for APO shipments.
What is the best way to contact MADSEN Cycles?
The best way to contact us is by phone, 800-206-0941 or by email, email@example.com. We also do our best to answer all your questions via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
Can I purchase just a bucket?
Yes, you may purchase a bucket for $250 plus shipping charges. Contact us via email for a shipping quote and to help you place an order.
Does the bucket fit onto any regular old bicycle?
No. The bucket only fits onto a MADSEN bike, which it is specifically designed for.
What are the differences from the 2018 to 2019 model?
The major differences are that the 2019 model has an improved braking feel and response, and is excellent for the newly offered option of adding an electric assist:
- front and rear Tektro Aquila 160mm disc brakes
- front and rear thru-axel hubs
- new rear CNC thru-axel dropouts with integrated router mount (so sweet!)
- a new thru-axel fork with CNC precision alignment creating an amazing braking feel and response